Manager, Product Management
BACKGROUND: Hydro One Telecom combines the strength and reliability of a respected utility with the agility of a small telecommunications provider. We work together with our diverse client base to design creative solutions for data telecommunications, and networking challenges that our clients face every day. Our engineering focus and ITIL processes ensure that our services are specifically tailored to meet their individual requirements.
It’s an exciting time to join the team at Hydro One Telecom!
JOB FUNCTION: The Manager, Product Management is responsible for leading and managing the creation, commercialization, launch and full P&L ownership of each Hydro One Telecom Inc. (HOTI) product and service that will position HOTI as a premier telecommunications and ICT provider for businesses within Canada.
• Leading a team of Product Managers to research, create and define the 5-Year Product Roadmap along with each individual product and service that will create and drive revenue for Hydro One Telecom’s aggressive growth plan.
• Advise and support the Director, Product & Marketing in the direction, market positioning, and portfolio of products and services that will differentiate Hydro One Telecom in the marketplace and enable it to meet its Business Plan.
• Define and own the New Product Introduction process and methodology for Hydro One Telecom and work closely with cross-functional teams as a key owner and participant in the development, implementation and launch of new innovative products and solutions utilizing best-of-breed methodologies.
• Drive goals and performance related to the full life-cycle management of new and existing products and services.
• Lead negotiations with vendors and external suppliers related to product and services agreements and partnerships, and serve as functional prime and liaison to the business for all associated issues and decisions.
• Advise and support the Director, Product & Marketing in developing, analyzing, and implementing alternative business models and strategic options to develop competitive pricing and service levels for all HOTI Lines of Business (LOBs).
• Be part of the HOTI senior leadership team, playing a key role in producing and driving business planning and business cases as it is related to products and services and their performance. • Manage a team of Product Managers who are the most senior and knowledgeable in each of the products and services they respectively own, and work with existing and potential new customers to design solutions to meet their business requirements.
• Oversee the creation, development, launch and ongoing business performance of Hydro One Telecom (HOTI) products and services including market analysis, competitive positioning, service definition, value proposition, pricing, and profitability.
• Define and launch a comprehensive suite of products and services for the telecommunications and ICT markets including Managed Services, Cloud Based Services, Operational Services and other Value-Added Services covering the following solution areas: IP, optical, wireless, security, data, SaaS, IoT, and unified communications. Solutions will be built organically or by partnering with other organizations.
• Accountable for technology and partner decisions to support new and existing products and services.
• Track key market segments and trends to establish market demand, positioning and pricing for products and services.
• Create and obtain approval on business plans and business cases to support the development of new products and services and to improve existing ones.
• Develop, document and manage the HOTI product catalogue.
• Provide thought leadership and product expertise to existing and prospective clients to influence clients’ strategies for more effective use of telecommunications and ICT capabilities to drive business transformation.
• Support the Director, Product & Marketing in the development and implementation of the long term business strategy for Hydro One Telecom Inc. Ensure that the Plan stays current, and monitor progress against the Plan.
• Support the development of the annual business plan, which maintains and expands the sustainability and profitability of the business.
• Provide domain expertise and support the Director of Product & Marketing in making decisions on financial investments, budget spending, vendor selections and organization of staff to accomplish corporate objectives.
• Accountable for making recommendations to the HOTI Director team on product strategies, business risks and market investments.
• Negotiate and work closely with Product Development to meet project deliverables, schedules, timelines and costs from concept to deployment and business readiness. Help drive progress to ensure timely launch to meet revenue and net income targets.
• Input into the development of process flows and maps as required to document and implement products within existing business processes.
• Participate in product launch and readiness reviews to identify and benchmark to success criteria and refine product development process.
• Work closely with the Manager, Marketing, and the Marketing group to define, provide content, and to help create the Sales Enablement; tools, collaterals, and training to successfully sell and support the new products and services.
• Accountable for setting team goals, objectives, coaching, and handling human resource issues and resolving work performance problems.
• As part of the senior leadership team within Hydro One Telecom, work with the Director, Product & Marketing and team members to create and sustain a cooperative and supportive working environment.
• Bachelor’s Degree in Computer or Electrical Engineering, Business Administration, Economics or Science or equivalent work experience. M.B.A. would be a definite asset.
• 10+ years of successful Product and Service Management experience in telecommunications and ICT related to Managed Services and Cloud Based Services covering the following solution areas: IP, optical, wireless, security, data centers Saas, IoT, and unified communications.
• Demonstrated success with building and managing relationships with C-level management teams.
• Demonstrated experience initiating and managing relationships with vendors, partners and customers.
• Demonstrated experience managing customer facing teams, network planning teams and network engineers.
• Strategic and tactical mindset with the ability to translate strategic vision into actionable outcomes.
• Demonstrated experience managing teams with diverse accountabilities driving towards common goals.
• Effective leadership skills to navigate through various organizations to garner resources and motivate to accomplish tasks.
• Proven and quantifiable track record of over achievement.
• Ability to work in a fast paced environment.
• Motivated, self-starter, goal oriented and takes ownership.
• Exceptional negotiation, problem solving and analytical skills.
• Ability to create financial models focusing on profitability and ROI.
• Ability to analyze market, price and cost variances and trends.
• Exceptional communication skills – written & verbal, and strong presentation skills.
• Strong negotiation skills with a track record of negotiating and closing deals.
• Strong relationship building skills – with both an internal and external focus.
• Experienced in product and service development along with commercialization.
• Experience is preparing and managing budgets associated with the development and launch of products and services.
• Proven track record of spearheading projects through the full life cycle from idea and initiation, to planning, to execution, to project completion, and closure.
• Strong knowledge of project management methodologies and application in a diverse environment.
• Solid experience creating project plans, process maps, presentations and product requirement specifications.
• Ability to work autonomously with minimal required direction.
• High level of attention to detail.
• Proficient in all aspects of Microsoft Office applications.
• Ability to travel is required. Some business travel required, primarily in Ontario (client, supplier, and partner meetings as well as industry events).
At Hydro One Telecom we understand that the success and strength of our business rests with our people. When we develop their skills, we are investing in both their success and ours. To secure the best talent, we seek to create a workforce that reflects the diverse populations of the communities where we live and work and to create a culture based on safety, innovation and inclusiveness.
We are honoured to be recognized by Forbes in its list of Canada’s Best Employers for 2019.
Thank you for considering a career with Hydro One Telecom, we welcome applications from all qualified candidates. If you are having difficulty using our online application system and you need an accommodation due to a disability, please email firstname.lastname@example.org. Hydro One Telecom will provide reasonable accommodation for qualified individuals with disabilities in the job application process.
Please note this email is only for accommodation requests. Resumes sent to this email address will not be considered.
Deadline: February 5, 2020